Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Assless chaps for toddlers

It's a New Year folks and I don't know about you, but one of my resolutions this year was to let my toddler run around with a naked bottom while we are at home...


What?  He likes it! 

Okay, I am just messing with you, well kind of.  The real story is that Trent and I opted to stay home for New Years this year and enjoy a quiet long weekend together as a family.  Of course, as you might have guessed, I am not one for being able to partake in too much down time and therefore I hatched a plan to potty train Chephren while I had the 'man advantage'.  Since the Internet seems to know just about everything, I turned to my computer as my primary advice-giver on the matter (followed somewhat distantly by my mom).  I had previously decided on the three-day potty training method and after reading this article, we were on our way!  (There is also a booklet on the subject that you can download for a fee, but we're trying to live with less remember?)

Now, I will spare you all of the grody details about the whole process (if you wanted to know more about this stuff you would have your own kid right?) but I did want to share my latest sewing project: warm fuzzy pants with no bottoms (ahem, 'assless chaps' if you will...)  Being that we live in such a cold climate, letting Chephren run around with no pants on seemed somehow irresponsible as a parent, no matter how much he loves it.  After experimenting with several varieties: his commercially made Baby Legs from when he was a baby (pretty small on him now) and a handmade pair of leg warmers that I knit (they don't stay up), I finally crafted a pair of fleece 'pants' that are super comfy and cozy and are held up by elastics at the top.  Even Trent was impressed that I came up with these things... and it only took me about 30 minutes to make them!



The most important part?  Chephren loves them too, and we are on Day 5 of the potty training and it is going very, very well!  I haven't declared a total victory yet (we still have to figure out how to leave the house), but I can feel good knowing that this new toddler fashion statement is keeping diapers out of the landfills.

Happy New Year!

Marebare xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I think that bare bottomed potty training ought to earn you some sort of prize for bravery!

    ReplyDelete