Thursday, February 9, 2012

Got Buttons?

Have you ever had someone 'push your buttons'?  If you said no, you are either a highly evolved, enlightened being or completely in denial!  The reality is, that most of us get our buttons pushed on an almost daily basis.  Your boss ticks you off, your child draws on your sofa, your husband complains about the dinner you spent hours making... sound familiar? 



I can only speak from personal experience, but my tendency in the past was to blame 'the other'... the situation/person that was the causing me to be miserable.  Even better, I wanted to complain about it/them to someone else -- you've heard the saying 'misery loves company'. 



Over the past year, I have begun to pay attention to all of the button-pushing happening in my life and I have come to see each and every instance as a gift.  Yes, you read that correctly, I said gift!  Now, before you get all 'up in arms' at me about this, hear me out.

I have come to understand that when someone/something is pushing my buttons, that it an opportunity to look inside myself and ask a very important question: WHY?  Why is this pushing my buttons, what is it in me that I need to look at/heal in order for this to not bother me anymore?  This *shift* in thinking not only allows you to take back your power (you fully gave it away as soon as you started blaming the other person), but it allows you to 'do the work' on your personal journey. 

Sound crazy?  Maybe.  But then again... maybe not.  It's worth thinking about though, wouldn't you agree?

Peace and love,

Marebare

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes a thousand times YES! It's amazing how many years it took me to realize that I had issues with authority. I just figured I had rotten luck with bosses, but at some point I had to come to terms with the fact that they couldn't all be total jerks!

    I realize this is totally cheezy... but one time I was channel surfing and happened upon one of those PBS self help shows with Dr. Wayne Dyer (http://www.drwaynedyer.com) - Don't know if you get those shows in Canada. Anyhow he had some metaphor about people being like oranges. It went something like this:

    If you squeeze an orange, what comes out? Orange juice, of course, because that's what's inside. And the same is true of people. When someone "squeezes you" what comes out doesn't have much to do with the circumstance, it depends on what's inside of you. Anyhow... here's a YouTube video of it:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xB6l02UCo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness!!! I LOVE the orange analogy - but I have to say, I loved the poem about the cookies MORE! This is such a great story b/c everything/everyone around us is merely reflecting back to us what is already inside of us! In other words, it is all a MIRROR! Thank you so, so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete