Friday, April 9, 2010

Baby Steps

I am evolving... I am not yet three months into this project and it at this point, it absolutely seems like second nature.  Follow 'the rules' has become so easy that they don't even feel like rules anymore, just common sense.  I find myself with more time, more money and feeling well, happier. 

With all of my extra time, I have been doing some research.  It has occurred to me that I could be doing more for myself, my family and the environment.  This kind of started a while back with the movie Food Inc. and the introduction of 'Meatless Mondays' (which is going very well by the way).  Actually, upon reflection over the past few weeks, this has been a re-occurring theme in my life over the past 10-12 years or so.  In the past, I have gotten totally frustrated with the way things are in this messed up world, decide that I am going to do something about it and try to make extreme and radical changes overnight.  For instance, I lived as a vegan for 6 months a few years back.  That's right, I went from being an oblivious meat-eater to being a complete vegan overnight (this change was so impulsive and spontaneous that I actually had to look up what the 'rules' of veganism were!)  Looking back, I can see that while my intentions were certainly well-founded, my method couldn't have been less effective.

Change is hard.  It is hard for everyone.  To make it easier, I believe that the key to lasting change is to make small changes over time.  That is what this project is doing for me.  While I did jump in headfirst (as I tend to do with most things), I have allowed myself the time to slowly grow fully into the project and all that it entails.  The point is, more changes are a comin'!  Of late, I have been reading into food additives (scary, scary stuff) and trying to discover more effective (and creative) ways to reduce my waste.  I have been reading a blog called The Clean Bin Project about a couple in BC who lived without making virtually ANY waste for one year (included in their rules was not buying any 'stuff' so it makes for really good reading for me).  Check it out, it left me truly inspired.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”  - Maria Robinson

Here's to making small changes, one day at a time!

Marebare :)

2 comments:

  1. Did you read "No Impact Man"? I keep thinking of the part about trying to get the Pope into a hot tub... just keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading his blog lately and I signed up to to the 'no impact week' (starting this Sunday)... it should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete