Monday, April 5, 2010

Put Yer Money Where Your Mouth Is!!

What an absolutely lovely long weekend... now those are two words that belong together (long + weekend = glorious!)  Instead of spending the weekend inside attached to my computer, I spent most of the weekend working at living, learning, loving and laughing!  In other words, living with less, which as we know by now, means actually living with a whole lot more.

To be a little less vague, I spent the weekend mostly at home, enjoying a lot of time outside with my son and husband, weeding, baking, cooking, and yes, sewing.  I have now made two items that are actually wearable.. only one of which I would be caught dead in but hey, I'm learning right!?  I read a quote today that said "10 percent of life is what happens & 90 percent is the way we react to it".  I sure needed to hear this in order to gain some perspective after having finished a dress that looks more like a pillowcase than a dress!  All is not lost however, I did learn a whole bunch of new sewing techniques in the process and I didn't spend any money on the material, so, really, it was a great experience in the end. 

My adventures in the kitchen have also taken me to new heights.  I made fresh pasta for the first time (by hand): A butternut squast/goat cheese stuffed ravioli.  It was absolutely delicious!  I also made my ultimate favorite coffee time treat: white chocolate mixed berry scones.  They are to-die-for!!!  Also, I promised Alison that I would start to post some recipes on here so here it goes:

2 & 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 cup soft butter

Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and cut butter in (pastry-style) until the mixture is the size of small peas.

1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup yogurt (I used vanilla but you could use a berry kind too)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl and add to dry ingredients.  Stir to moisten (You might need to add a bit more milk - I just kind of played it by ear until the mixture was like a batter that you could drop by spoonfuls...)

Stir in 2 cups of frozen mixed berries & 1 cup of white chocolate chunks (you should be able to find these bulk)

Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with icing sugar when they come out of the oven.

(If I hadn't been so busy scarfing them down this weekend, I would've had the forethought to include a picture of them... sorry!)

Finally, I just wanted to comment on something that my reader Rebecca (from Denver) wrote to me a few weeks ago... "Once you stop hanging on to things so tightly, you realize that stuff just flows in and out of our lives, and trying to control it only blocks up the flow!"  I just wanted to point out that this has never been more true for me... since I have started this project, I have given away more stuff than ever before and yet, new and different 'stuff' just keeps pouring in the from the front door!  It is amazing!  Thank you so much to those of you who have showered me with items that will/have helped me on my journey! 

One more shout out - to all you vegetarians and vegetable-advocates out there!  Thank you SO much for all of the fantastic recipe ideas.  My family is getting more and more used to the meatless approach and I am absolutely loving the new and fun cooking routine.

Y'all are the BEST!

Cheers!
Marebare :)

1 comment:

  1. I am honored to be quoted in your blog!

    The scones sound delicious! I may have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete