Monday, March 22, 2010

Farm Fresh

As much as I complain about living here, yesterday I realized (yet again) that we are indeed very fortunate to live in this community.  After weeks of searching high and low, I finally have found a local source for my 'farm fresh' eggs.  We are going to be getting them from our neighbour, who gets them from her neighbour, who gets them from a 94-year-old woman in Carvel who takes care of the hens.  How awesome is that!  I got my first dozen yesterday and I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I will be sure to update you when I do!  I can't tell you how making such a small change in our lives can feel so satisfying... plus, the eggs are only $1.75 per dozen... cheaper than in the supermarket!  It is just win-win-WIN, everywhere I look!

On our visit to the neighbours, Chephren came along and got to get up close and personal with the neighbour's cows.  He was just fascinated.  He kept pointing and saying, "Moo!  Moo!"  After last week's post about the movie Food Inc. and my rant about how dire things are in our food industry, I have started to notice that there are actually still a lot of 'real' farmers in this agri-community that I live in.  As I said, we are the lucky ones.  After living here for four years, I feel like I have finally begun to appreciate our local farmers and the good, no GREAT, work that they do, especially compared to the alternative...

One final note, I am instilling 'meatless Mondays' in our household.  My family is pretty skeptical at this point (in fact, my husband will probably be at work today consuming a double burger at lunch instead of a single, simply out of sheer panic)!  So, I could use some great vegetarian recipes if you have some to share.  I have a few from my lovely friend Tess, but it would be great to have a few more to add to the repertoire.  I would love to be able to serve up some delicious vegetarian food so that my family can see that it really isn't that big of a sacrifice (and then we could go to two days a week...)  Baby steps right?

“Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.”  - Albert Einstein

Here's to the farmers (and the vegetarians)!

Marebare :)

No comments:

Post a Comment