Friday, March 19, 2010

This is what happens when you take 'frugality' a bit too far...

I have really done it this time.  Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I would say that one of the skills that I have in my 'toolbox' is my ability to take whatever is in my fridge, throw in a pot and make it taste good.  I have somehow been able to consistently do this for the past 12 or so years with very few major errors... until today. 

After taking stock (pardon the pun) of what I had in my fridge, I decided to make a turkey soup - normally one of my speciality dishes.  Now, this is where I got a little overzealous and carried away... you see, in an effort to be frugal and use up as much 'stuff' as possible, I pushed the limits of what should have gone in the pot, going against all of my innate cooking instincts.  The result of my zeal?  A disgusting pot of brown slop that honestly spells like dog food.  In other words, I figure that it is pretty much inedible.  So, instead of serving up a frugalicious supper... I am going to be forced to start all over again.  Luckily I still have a few things to work with, and now Turkey Curry Stew will be the next project of the day. 

What is the point of all of this?  Know your limit - and don't cross it!  Today I learned that it is not absolutely necessary to put the contents of EVERY tupperware container in your fridge into your soup (or casserole, or whatever).

Now, if only I could get rid of the smell as easily as the soup itself!

“In examining the potential of individuals, we must focus on their strengths and not just their mistakes. We cannot be limited by what they may have spilled in the kitchen.”  - William Pollard

Amen William, let's focus on strengths!

Cheerio,

Marebare :)

No comments:

Post a Comment