Monday, March 8, 2010

Talk About Ironic!

Guess what?  Today my computer crashed (not a big shocker, it is an old clunker, and by 'old' I mean 4 years old, and for a laptop PC that is practically ANCIENT) - more on the evils of modern technology production later!  But, as I was saying, my PC crashed and I fixed it ALL BY MYSELF!  Now, if you know me, you will understand that this is nothing short of a miracle.  Trent, if you are reading this, try not to pass out! 

Now, here is the ironic part.  Instead of picking up the telephone immediately and begging my husband to either a) bring me home a new computer (been there, done that) or b) come home RIGHT NOW and fix it for me (also been there), today I decided to proceed a little differently.  You see, today I didn't panic, or even yell, rant, or throw stuff.  Actually, I continued on with my chores for the morning while I thought about what I should do.  You see, that computer is my livelihood.  I work from home and it is basically my lifeline to my professional, and let's face it, my personal existence.  (Talk about being attached, sheesh!)  Anyway, my ability to stay calm in this situation allowed me to see a very clear solution.  I would use my husband's work laptop (which is also at home) to get on the internet and see how to fix the problem on my computer.  Two minutes later (literally), and BAM my computer was working as good as new... well, okay, it wasn't that big of a miracle, but it was working again. 

And then it hit me.  In fact, I laughed right out loud.  Does anyone else see the irony here?  We (okay I), have become so dependent on the internet and computers that I actually required the internet and a functioning computer to fix my own computer.  Does this mean that everyone should be walking around with two internet sources at their immediate disposal (or an IT team on standby?).  I hate to say it but, maybe? 
This is also ironic to me on the 'living with less' front.  I can see needing one computer but 2?  Come on people, give me a chance!!!

Just thought I would share this little story, it is still making me scratch my head...

All the best to you and yours on this lovely (and windy) Monday!

Marebare ;)

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I knew there was a reason I was hanging on to those 4 outdated computers... do you think my old Apple 2 would be of any assistance?

    :)
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete