Thursday, January 21, 2010

Back to the Basics

Okay, so in my last entry, I kind of got carried away. I am going to bring it back down to basics... Which causes me to ask the question, why the heck am I doing this again? (!)

Honestly, I think that a series of events throughout my lifetime have brought me to this place (backpacking in five continents, living in a tent at 'yoga camp' and living in a van in Nordegg, Alberta), but it was this past Christmas that brought me to a final crisis point. Every time my husband and I have forayed into the world and lived with less, it has been such a blissful, simple, and yet amazing experience. Essentially, life gets pared down to what really matters: spending time with incredible people, both old friends and new. You don't have the opportunity to get caught up in consumerism because all you need in order to enjoy yourself is on your back (or in your tent, or in your van), or out in the world in front of you. My past adventures have truly been the happiest, most personally authentic times in my life. So much so that every time I return to 'civilization' (a misnomer in my opinion), I experience an extreme culture shock. I end up feeling 'less' until I have 'more'. It is completely ridiculous.

This Chirstmas was the final straw for me. We absolutely are blessed to have a huge mixed family (four different ones in fact), and this means a lot of visiting and comraderie over the holidays... and all of this I am okay with. It is the gift-buying that sends me over the deep end. Now, granted, we have done our share of buying in the past, and even more so, our share of receiving, but to me, it just isn't necessary or important. I want my friends and family to know that I care about them every day of the year, and not just at Christmas. I guess it is now on me then to find other ways to show them my affection... which is again, part of this new challenge.

Since I have undertaken this challenge (and remember it has been less than one week), I have felt like a more 'authentic' version of myself than I have in ages. It is like the 'travelling Maren' version of myself all over again. Even my husband has noticed. It is the best thing that I could have done for myself, for our marriage, for our family. I know that this sounds like a huge exaggeration, but I assure you, it is not.

Anyway, off of the soapbox for tonight. I just wanted to share the high that I am feeling with anyone out there who might be reading...

All the best! I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
Marebare :)

Quote for today:

Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. - Storm Jameson

1 comment:

  1. I like this quote - it really sums up some important elements of happy, fulfilled living. Who is Storm Jameson?
    shirley

    ReplyDelete