Monday, January 25, 2010

Wanting to stop wanting!

So, I did it today. I went into the *nameless* big chain grocery store - you know the one: it not only sells groceries, but every possible other thing that you can think of under the sun. Well not quite everything I guess, and NO, I am not talking about Walmart - those guys are on my 'no' list for sure. Anyway, I went in there today to pick up a few things - mostly canned goods/laundry detergent etc. and I found myself (gasp!) wanting to look at/touch/buy other STUFF! The packages looked so new and shiny and to my horror, everything looked to me like it was an immensely good deal (I almost couldn't afford NOT to buy it - remember?) I found myself running through the aisles like a mad-woman, trying to focus on what I actually came in (and NEEDED) to buy. Don't worry, I escaped victorious (this time), but it has left me wondering exactly what it is about that other 'stuff' that makes me want it so badly.

Is it the shiny, glossy packaging (which when I get home is one of the first things that ticks me right off as most it goes straight into my trash bin)? Is it the bright colours? Is it the big stickers that indicate the price? I just can't put my finger on it. By the way, if there is an advertising psychologist out there reading, could you please provide me with some input about your consumerism (aka witch-doctor) tactics? You can let me know your secrets of the trade anonymously, I swear!

I guess the conclusion that I have come to (for now), is that it is okay to want 'stuff'. Most of us do, so I guess that it is pretty normal in the society that we live in. To that end, I have decided that I will continue to want certain things, but instead of impulsively buying them on the spot, I will put them on my 'list' and try to find them used or previously loved - which is a much nicer term. That way, I will have to work hard to buy the things that I want and if I don't really want them (which is often the case, as I am bewitched by the above-mentioned ad psychologist buggers), then I won't waste my time/effort/money.

The message for today is simple: Don't be left wanting, just delay the gratification... you will be much happier in the long run.

You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard

I am not quite there Vernon - but I am working on it!

Good luck to those of you who are also trying to escape the witch-doctor's spell :) Marebear

1 comment:

  1. Had to laugh at this one! Sounds like my children. Every visit to a store, particularly around birthdays and Christmas was a constant symphony of "I want..."s. My very simple solution with them was to ban the phrase "I want.." in a store, instead they could say "I like.." and then we would talk about what they liked about it and maybe about something similar we ALREADY had! Just a little tip that might help in the future with your little man, as it sounds as though he is the inspiration for this great project.

    ReplyDelete