Saturday, January 30, 2010

Trent finds a lonely leek, and other remarkable transitions...

When I first told Trent that I was going to start this little project, his response was, "I'm not doing that".  I was expecting as much, so I just smiled and said, "Don't worry, I don't expect you to".  Now, two weeks into the project, I would say that he has definitely started to come around.  First of all, I think that he has realized how much money this is really going to save us.  I will be posting the official numbers after the first month is through, but it is looking like we are about to cut our retail/grocery bill in HALF!  He is also enjoying other perks, such as a clean and non-overstuffed fridge.  He actually said tonight while we were making dinner together, "I absolutely love the fridge like this!  I could just look at it all day!"  Given how well things are going, it was no surprise that our dinner tonight was also fabulous.  Trent made us a pasta/hamburger/sausage casserole which helped us use up a lot of odds and ends that were 'crowding' our newly sleeked-out refridgerator.  He was so pumped, even digging through the vegetable drawer trying to find stuff to put in (he found a lonely leek by the way, and it made a delicious addition to the casserole).

Perhaps the best perk of all however, has been a much happier wife to come home to at the end of the day.  I can't put my finger on it, but something inside me is fundamentally changing.  I find that I am more relaxed and easy going, which are two words that I would have never thought could EVER be used to describe myself.  Maybe it is that there is a certain satisfaction in doing something that I know I can be proud of.  Maybe it is the fact that I am no longer worried about so many things that don't MATTER.  Maybe I am just giddy at the thought of saving almost half of our annual family earnings...

Whatever it is, it is good, and worth every sacrifice that we have had to make so far (and yes, giving up Starbucks counts as a sacrifice). 

"Only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy.  One is to let her think that she is having her own way, the other is to let her have it."  Lyndon B. Johnson

Go hug your spouse right now!
Marebear :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post Maren!! It warms me heart to picture you two having fun at dinner. It also makes me miss you guys. Looking forward to a meeting at some point in future! (by the way, I went and hugged J:)
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute! Thanks for the post, we miss you guys too! I can't wait to hear how things are going on your end of the 'challenge'. If you want to send me a post I will put it up...

    Hugs right back atcha!
    Marebear

    ReplyDelete