Saturday, January 23, 2010

Have you ever tried to decorate with zero budget?

So I am finally getting around to decorating/cleaning up the basement for my office and Chephren's playroom. For those of you who have never seen my basement, it is HUGEmungous, and this means that I am going to have to get very creative with things as I can't a) buy anything new and b)BUY ANYTHING NEW!? This will certainly be a bit tough for me.

First off, let me just try to paint you a picture of what I have to work with so far: I have let's see... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 yup, 9 different paint colours left over from the rest of the renos we have done in the house. Do you think it would look super tacky if I painted each wall down there a different color? Let me be clear, I am not planning on just randomly painting them on or anything. I have a 'plan' for the colour scheme - and it might even look like I intended it to look that way... What do you think? The colors that I have to work with are:
  • Bright deep blue
  • Turqoisey blue
  • Yellow: kind of buttery in colour
  • Cranberry
  • Sage green
  • Beige
  • Dark green - kind of army-ish
  • Light brown - 'hiking trail'
  • 'Cappucino'

I don't know about you but I think it is going to look fah-bu-lous! I will make sure to take some pictures so that you can all see the finished product. After the painting comes the purchasing (or rather scrounging) of furniture - mostly for storage purposes, so it shall be interesting to see what I can come up with on Kijiji and such.

If you have done some 'creative' (read: cheap) renovations in the past and have any great tips to pass along, let me know. I am not above admitting that I could use the HELP!

Anyway, gotta run, a movie (don't worry it's rented), and a wonderful husband (not rented, but also non-returnable) awaits!

Cheerio! Marebear :)

1 comment:

  1. I really hope you read my comment. This blog post excited me because I love colour. Please do share photos.
    My tip for furntiture that I received from a very wise hippie couple I just met. Buy antiques! you are recycling and antiques are the only furniture that actually goes up in price over time and wear. It is an investment. Loic and I are going to start doing this. We already have an old library table scoped out to make a new desk out of. They just don't make stuff like they used to as well. Most of the antiques I have been looking at are SOLID materials and SOLIDLY built. If you aren't crazy about the antique look, funk it up: decopage the seat/top of the item. With our desk, we are going to add in one side of basket drawers.
    I am so pationate about this area. Please read this post! ;)

    ReplyDelete