Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Addicted to Convenience

So I am just over two weeks in and things are going fairly well, although I would be lying if I said that there were certain things that I didn't miss...

First of all, Starbucks.  Now, I know that this sounds ridiculous, but honestly, this is the thing that I miss the most.  When I ask myself exactly what it is that I miss about it though, it isn't the coffee itself, or the ambiance of the store, or even the way that little white cup feels in my hot little hands (sigh), but it is actually the convenience that I miss the very most.  I miss going into town and not having to 'plan' to bring along my thermos of coffee or tea, (which is mostly what I have been doing, otherwise, I tend to go without).  I miss buying myself a 'treat' when I am finished doing a task that I mostly dislike (like getting the oil changed or taking Chephren for his shots).

And there are other things that I 'need' (read: am pining for) that would be just so easy to go and get new, and they aren't even that expensive... For example: bread pans.  I need some new bread pans, as I have been making all of my own bread for myself and my folks, and I only have two that are the 'right' size.  I have been looking for them on-line and in used goods shops, but these things are so cheap that you can't really find them used.  I also need a large metal bread bowl (or 2) for the same purpose.  Now, admittedly, I am making do with what I have, but it would be so much easier (and more convenient - there's that word again) if I could just go out and buy these things new.  

When I really think about it, I think that most of the money that I have spent (ie. wasted) in the past has been largely due to convenience, and of course, my impulsivity.  A huge benefit of this project for me then, is that I am being forced to evaluate which things are worth putting the time in to find used, and which things are simply easier to buy new.  For now, the search continues for these inexpensive items!

There is no reason that the universe should be designed for our convenience. - John D. Barrow
(says who John!?)

Hope the sun is shining wherever you are!
Marebear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment