Friday, February 12, 2010

Wellness Counter

Hey!  Today's topic is a bit off topic, but not really.  Today I want to talk about personal wellness.  You see, for me 'living with less' has a lot to do with wellness.  In the past few weeks, I can honestly tell you that this little challenge has improved both my own personal wellness as well as that of my family's almost 10-fold.  What do I mean by this?  Well, I walk around with a greater sense of who I am and how I am connected with the world around me.  I feel more in tune with nature, my body, my friends and my family.  I know, it sounds crazy right?  The truth is, when you stop worrying about what you don't have, you realize what you do have... and I have many things in my life that are pretty darn fantastic.

In my mind, wellness has a lot to do with awareness.  Amazingly, I think that a lot of people go through their life without being aware of, present in, or truly engaged with, the world around them.  I read a great article the other day that offered a great suggestion for bringing awareness to your everyday life and to help focus your thoughts on improving your own personal wellness.  The idea is to keep track of every time you do something positive for yourself.  Have you ever used a stroke counter for golf?  I haven't, but I gather that it is a little do-dad that allows you to 'click it' each time you take a stroke.  Now, apply this clicker thing to wellness and give yourself a click each time you do something positive for yourself during the day.  Given that I am not a golfer (nor will I ever be), I decided to use this idea without the do-dad and just keep track mentally (although I am sure it would be much more satisfying with the clicker).  If you are in need of tangible or visual rewards, you could give yourself checkmarks, stickers, etc. in some kind of log book or chart if you'd like.  I tried this strategy out yesterday and gave myself the goal of obtaining 10 'clicks'.  Once I thought of it in this way, it was easy, and man did I ever have a fabulous day!  The truth is, when you take care of YOU, the world automatically seems like a better place.  Improving your personal wellness is basically like putting on a pair of rose-coloured glasses through which to see the world.  And who doesn't like to view the world in such a positive way?

Anyway, those are my thoughts for today - now quit reading and get clicking!!!

“Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.” - Mary Anne Radmacher

One of my favorite quotes so far!
Marebare :)

No comments:

Post a Comment