Monday, February 1, 2010

So, you want to learn to sew do you?

Those of you who know me well (and even some strangers on the street) have probably heard me brag about my husband's sewing ability.  He has got some absolutely MAD skills in this department.  In the past, he has sewn me a duvet covers, pillowcases, curtains for our VW van and of course, repaired every single thing of mine that has ever needed mending.  How could such a thing happen you might wonder?  Well, my husband took home economics throughout Junior High, and not because of his love for home-making activities, oh no.  It was more about the anticipated ratio between girls and boys in the class.  Pretty clever hey? That is my Trentie - he is no dummy!  Alas, I was not one of the gals in those classes, hence, he is the sewing master while I am sadly and ridiculously unskilled in this area.

Given that it is apparently going to be a year of new challenges to be undertaken, I have decided that I am going to try to learn to sew.  Also, given the fact that I am trying to save money, I will be attempting to do so mostly on my own, (likely with Trent's help of course).  I started today in fact.  I actually sewed buttons (yes, buttons) onto the end of our duvet cover (which was cheap and poorly made to begin with, but oh-so-pretty!).  So, after months of it driving me bonkers, I finally did something about it.  Plus, get this - I didn't even have all of the correct buttons to sew back on, so (gasp!) I had to use some extra buttons that I have been especially saving for just such an occasion.  I can't even tell you the kind of satisfaction that I got from such a ridiculously juvenile task.  And no, they don't look that great even, BUT, my quilt will now have to refrain from falling out the bottom of the cover and onto the floor during the night, and this gives me great joy!

I will keep you posted on the remainder of my sewing adventures as they arise, and should you be the (un)lucky recipient of a hand-made gift that I may sew for you in the next year, I hereby apologize in advance!

“One has to look out for engineers they begin with sewing machines and end up with the atomic bomb” - Marcel Pagnol

Happy sewing!
Marebear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment